There have been a few articles surfacing in Globe and Mail, Men’s Health, and various online posts with reference to how you can be actually increasing the rate at which you age by doing the same things you used to do when you were in your 30’s. There is truth to a lot of this but also take all the information you read with a grain of salt and consider how you feel after your workouts. Here are some excerpts from Precision Nutrition and Max Workouts:
According to science, there’s a difference between chronological age and biological age, which means you can be 50 years old and literally have a body of a 40 year old. I’m sure you’ve met someone that not only looks 10 years younger, but has boundless energy and stamina. That being said, I’m sure you’ve seen the exact opposite as well, someone that looks and acts much too OLD for their actual age.
So what’s the deal? Is it genetics? I know it sounds like the most reasonable answer. But genetics have very little to do with how fast or slow you age. Believe it or not, YOU have way more control over the aging process than you think.
Seriously, it’s not science fiction… you CAN slow your aging process, BUT do you know what to do?
…And I’m not talking about having to take anti-aging pills or hormone supplements. Nope. This is much safer and more effective. It’s something you can do, naturally, on your own.
There are countless men and women who have literally slowed down their biological clock. First let’s look at what happens as you age…
- Your metabolism slows down to a snail’s pace as you age. This makes burning fat and losing weight next to impossible.
- The hormones responsible for all of your youth-like qualities such as healthy skin tone, strong lean muscle, robust energy and insatiable sex drive, start declining more and more each year that goes by. And if you’re not proactive, your youth enhancing hormone levels may drop so low that there is no turning back.
- Aging makes your bones weaker and more brittle by robbing your body of vital minerals that are essential for strong bones. This is why so many elderly people suffer from hip fractures that can lead to even more serious medical complications.
- It’s not just your physical qualities that get negatively affected by aging…your brain suffers as well. Your memory, your ability to solve problems, and your decision making skills all start to decline and worsen each year.
- And here’s the real kicker: After 40, your biological age starts to speed up and age faster than your chronological age! In fact, for every year that passes you can age up to 6 months extra. That means when you turn 42, your body is essentially turning 43…if you keep this up, at 48 your body could be as old as 52!!
These are the harsh facts, but it’s the truth. However, it doesn’t need to be this way. YOU have the power to slow aging and prolong your youth. When you apply anti-aging strategies, you’ll be able to slow the aging process by greatly slowing down your biological aging well below your chronological aging.
Here’s what you can expect:
- You can re-ignite your metabolism, reprogramming your body so you can readily start burning fat right away.
- You can reboot your endocrine system, creating a resurgence of youth enhancing hormones so can get infinitely more energy—and replace flab with lean, strong muscle while boosting your sex drive
- You can fortify your body by regaining bone density and building a solid foundation.
- Boost your brain power, enhancing memory and improving your cognitive function making you as sharp as a tack
- You can dramatically decelerate your body’s aging process. So, your biological age will age slower than your chronological age—making you look and feel younger each year that passes.
Now I need to warn you… what you’re going to read next is probably going to go against everything you’ve ever heard before. BUT that’s because very few people actually know how to slow their aging process. (There is also a lot of mis-truths out there that we have all come to believe as common knowledge).
Now, here are the 3 WORST mistakes you must AVOID if you want to slow the aging process and increase your metabolism to burn fat, boost your youth enhancing hormones to get more energy & stamina, and build a lean, strong, healthy body:
Too many people think that cardio is the answer to everything related to weight-loss and fat-loss. And although cardio can be helpful (if done properly), it does nothing to slow the aging process. In fact, it does the exact opposite!. Doing long frequent cardio sessions will break down your muscles and increase the production of free radicals. These free radicals are nasty little things that damage the cells in your body and accelerate aging (think of free radicals as being rust for your body).
Don’t worry if you’re concerned about your heart health. There are many effective ways to improve your cardiovascular health. And here’s the best part: it takes only 1/3 the time of a conventional cardio workout AND it also triggers your youth enhancing hormones instead of those nasty free radicals that age you faster!
2. A Low-Fat Diet
It’s hard to believe that “low-fat” is still a dietary recommendation because science has proven that fat is not the cause of weight gain or heart disease. In fact, since the introduction of the fat-free diet, the world has gotten more fat and sick than it has ever been before.
Fat is not the enemy. Fat does NOT make you fat. In fact, fat is an absolute must if you want your body to look and feel younger! Why? Because healthy fats are an essential source of good cholesterol, which is KEY to producing the hormones that enhance your youthful qualities. (Not all cholesterol is bad, by the way — good cholesterol is a crucial component of healthy skin tissue, making your skin more supple, glowing, and youthful). If you’re following a low-fat diet, you’re depriving your body of the nutrients it needs to slow aging and keep your youth.
3. Yoga vs Stretch
Most people think of Yoga when they think of stretching. Yoga has been around for thousands of years and is effective for many reasons. However, holding static poses is not the same as exercise and is very different than dynamic stretching. Certain types of movement, like the ones in our Studio Fitness classes, are based on the necessary components to stimulate your body to build strength, flexibility and stimulate energy by activating as many muscles as possible in the body.
Here’s the key: the more muscles you’re able to activate at the same time, the more you’ll be able to trigger your youth-enhancing hormones. This is why using exercises that involve your entire body (upper body and lower body) at the same time is crucial.
That’s not all…there’s a particular way you want perform these exercises, because doing so will trigger your most effective fat burning hormones, so you can burn off your old excess fat that’s been hanging around way too long. Stimulating cardio segments in spurts instead of working out hard to entire class actually is a great cardiovascular component… sooooooo many people forget that there is a ‘vascular’ component to consider as well.
This is not a full comprehensive list of mistakes we make but it is something to consider for yourself. There are so many books hitting the shelves these days that are making people say “that makes sense!”… Does what you are doing make sense for your body? Are you still working out the same way each decade without consideration of how your body has different requirements? Do you only think of youth as being strong and vibrant?
It is true that “50 is the new 30” for many people, but reality is that many people are so tight from frenzied workout programs, stressed from continuously pushing hard so hormones are pumped into the body which makes a body rigid, and years of dieting has left the body malnourished. With a body like that, their bodies are feeling years older than 50!
It’s an exciting time in the world where we are all rethinking and restudying what we know about the body. Please share your stories or discoveries.